Monday, May 05, 2014

DKC Relay for Life




Our friends at the Downtown Knit Collective (downtown Toronto's knitting guild) are taking part in the Canadian Cancer Society's Relay for Life, in support of the Sunnybrook Odette Cancer Centre. God willing, none of us will ever have need, but if we do, I know I'll be happy that the extremely skilled staff at Sunnybrook is there. 
  
In their own words ....

Our team spins and knits through the night, creating chemo caps, scarves, and shawls as hugs for people undergoing cancer treatment. Joan Kass, special events coordinator at the DKC, calls the knit items they make and give away - hugs. "I was working at a healthcare clinic and one of the girls, Sharon, had a reoccurrence of breast cancer. I thought, "What can I do for Sharon?" Kass remembers. "I knew I couldn't go to treatment with her because I was working so I thought, I'll make her a scarf and when she wears it she'll remember that I'm thinking of her." 


Joan's story got me thinking and questioning how close I am to cancer. These are the people in my life touched by cancer:
  • my sister-in-law's father, prostate + bone cancer, deceased last week
  • my dad's life-long friend Ian, lung cancer (from smoking) + bone cancer, deceased
  • my cousin Jason, lymphoma, survived
  • my sister-in-law's mother, survived cancer three times
  • my friend Weronika's husband, brain cancer, deceased
  • my friend Maggie's mother, lung, bone + brain cancer, deceased
  • my grandfather, leukemia, deceased 
  • my great grandfather, leukemia, deceased
  • my grandmother, breast cancer, survived

The list was longer than I expected, and it doesn't include clients. 

So if you haven't already donated all your disposable income to charitable requests from co-workers, friends, and family, please consider donating a few tax deductible dollars via some very generous knitters. 





No comments:

Blog Archive