Thursday, July 12, 2012

Summer Knit-Spiration: Creekbed Scarf



I think this little free pattern is a hidden gem and a great opportunity to play around with self striping yarns. It's knit with light, sock weight yarn, which make for easygoing summer projects. It's also light on the cerebral side, with just enough interest to keep you from nodding off in the heat. Add a colourful, self striping yarn like a Noro and it'll be easy entertainment. It's also a grab and go project, easy to travel with (even if you aren't going any further than your porch). 



I love kristenlynnea's version (above) made with Noro Silk Garden Sock and other scraps. It also looks great in CompulsiveKnitter's version made with Schoppel-Wolle Zauberball.

Suggested Yarns

I think I would make a few stylistic modifications to the pattern:
  1. If using a striping yarn I'd drop the big centre band, I don't think it would do anything for the design.
  2. If I was making the 2 border bands in a contrast colour I would make it a neutral (grey or brown) with a low to medium contrast to the main colours. A high contrast is too much for my delicate sensibilities (ie. no likey black). 
  3. If using Schoppel-Wolle Zauberball I'd skip the border colour all together and let the yarn do all the work. 
  4. If using  Noro Silk Garden Sock I'd choose 2 colourways and alternate every other row. Alternately, you can use 2 skeins of the same colourway and start the first from the inside and the second from the outside, and alternate every other row. 



As always, you can find us at Knitomatic.com



No comments:

Blog Archive